The Teacher Was Released After Being Held for Nine Hours
- Update Time : 08:07:49 pm, Saturday, 10 January 2026
- / 226 Time View

A university teacher who had come to Chittagong University to supervise first-year undergraduate admission tests was released late Saturday night after being physically harassed and confined for nearly nine hours at administrative offices on campus.
The teacher left the university around 9:00 p.m. from the administrative building in the proctor’s vehicle. Witnesses said he had been taken earlier in the day from the examination area to the offices of the proctor and the vice-chancellor, where he remained restricted for hours.
According to eyewitness accounts, around noon the teacher was chased away from an examination centre in front of the Faculty of Law by a group led by four leaders of the Chhatra Union (Chaksu). His mobile phone was reportedly searched during the incident.
The teacher, Hasan Mohammad, is an assistant professor in the Department of Law and a former assistant proctor of the university. He had previously been associated with a faction of the “Yellow Group,” a political platform linked to Awami League-leaning and left-leaning teachers on campus.
A video of the incident has circulated widely on Facebook. The one-minute-seven-second clip shows several students dragging Hasan Mohammad away, with one person restraining him from behind. Chaksu leaders, including Office Secretary Abdullah Al Noman, Library and Cafeteria Secretary Masum Billah, Law and Human Rights Secretary Fazle Rabbi, and executive member Sohanur Rahman, are visible in the footage. The teacher can be heard shouting as he is forced into an auto-rickshaw.
While confined at the proctor’s office, Hasan Mohammad said that during his duty at the examination centre, staff members warned him that the situation was tense. After leaving the centre, he claimed Chaksu leaders began shouting, prompting him to run out of fear. Despite this, he said, he was pursued, surrounded by a hostile crowd, and not allowed to leave.
Chaksu’s Law and Human Rights Secretary Fazle Rabbi denied allegations of physical abuse. He claimed that during Hasan Mohammad’s tenure as assistant proctor, he played a role in filing cases against students involved in democratic movements and was directly involved in violence during the July mass uprising. He said an administrative investigation into the teacher was already underway. According to him, Chaksu leaders had gone to speak with the dean of the Faculty of Law to question why a teacher facing allegations was assigned examination duties. He alleged that the teacher attempted to flee and fell after hitting a tree.
Office Secretary Abdullah Al Noman echoed the same claim, insisting that the teacher was not assaulted. He said Hasan Mohammad was injured while running behind the faculty gallery area.
When asked whether a case had been filed, Chaksu General Secretary Saeed Bin Habib said they attempted to lodge a case at Hathazari Police Station but were told that approval from senior authorities was required. He said the issue was raised in a meeting with the university administration, which stated that action would be taken after the investigation is completed.
University Proctor Hossain Shahid Sarwardi said the teacher had been associated with Awami League-aligned groups during the previous government and that an investigation against him was ongoing. He added that the matter would be discussed at the next syndicate meeting. The proctor said the teacher was released after ensuring his safety, noting that the proctorial body does not have the authority to impose disciplinary punishment.
However, Hathazari Police Station’s Officer-in-Charge, Md Zahidur Rahman, said no case had been formally registered so far.
Fazle Rabbi later said that he and three other Chaksu leaders waited at the police station for nearly two and a half hours to file a case but were only able to submit a written complaint to the duty officer.
During his confinement, Hasan Mohammad rejected allegations that he opposed the July movement. He said he did not participate in the uprising, held no official responsibilities at the time, and did not take part even in silent processions on campus. He also denied ever filing cases against students while serving as assistant proctor.
Regarding the teacher’s examination duty, B-Unit admission test coordinator Md Iqbal Shaheen Khan said that unless the university syndicate formally dismisses a teacher, they remain eligible for academic responsibilities. For that reason, Hasan Mohammad was assigned invigilation duties.
Acting Registrar Professor Mohammad Saiful Islam said multiple allegations had been brought against the teacher and an investigation committee was formed accordingly. Based on the probe, the teacher’s salary had been suspended. He said he could not explain how the teacher was assigned examination duties despite the ongoing investigation.























